Buying fine jewelry is a way to express yourself and add some sparkle to your wardrobe. But what color should you wear? Pink diamonds? Yellow gold? White platinum? In this blog post, we’ll give you some tips on what color of fine jewelry looks best on you. So put on your reading glasses and get ready to take some notes!
Expert’s Guide on What Color Jewelry You Should Wear
There are many factors to consider when choosing the right jewelry color. The first step is to think about what outfits you’ll be wearing it with. Do you want to match the jewelry color perfectly with your clothes or do you prefer a more contrasting look? We’ll break it down below.
Before we get into which colors look best on you, it’s important to understand a little bit about color theory. Colors can be divided into two main categories: warm and cool. Warm colors include red, orange, and yellow, and cool colors include blue, green, and purple.
How do we go about mixing and matching colors? One way to know which combinations work is to look at the color wheel. There are seven main color schemes: analogous, complementary, split complementary, monochromatic, triadic, square, and rectangle (or tetradic).
- Colors that are next to each other on the wheel are called analogous colors. Analogous color combinations usually create a harmonious look. For example, blue and green.
- Colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel are called complementary colors. Complementary color combinations can be very striking. For example, red and green are complementary colors.
- A split complementary scheme consists of a color and the two colors on either side of its complement. For example, if you have green clothing, you can accessorize with purple jewelry and a touch of pink.
- Monochromatic looks are created when you use different shades, tones, and tints of the same color. For example, a monochromatic blue look might include navy, light blue, and baby blue.
- Triadic color schemes use three colors that are evenly spaced from each other on the color wheel. For example, yellow, blue, and red.
- A square color scheme is made up of four colors that are equally spaced from each other on the color wheel. An example would be red, yellow, green, and blue.
- A rectangle (or tetradic) color scheme is made up of two pairs of complementary colors. An example would be red, yellow-green, blue-green, and blue-violet.
Choosing Jewelry Based on Skin Tone
Okay, so now that we got some of the theory out of the way, let’s incorporate it. A few indicators can help you determine your skin tone, but there is no set formula. You can use the following guidelines to understand which colors will look best on you.
- If you have a pink, red, or blue undertone to your skin, you likely have a cool skin tone. Look for jewelry in colors like silver, platinum, white gold, and gemstones in blue, green, and purple tones.
- You likely have a warm skin tone if your skin has yellow, olive, or golden undertones. Look for jewelry in colors like yellow gold, rose gold, and gemstones in warm tones such as red, orange, and yellow.
If you’re unsure whether you have a warm or cool skin tone, look at the veins in your wrist. If they appear green, you have a warm skin tone. If they look blue or purple, you have a cool skin tone.
People with neutral skin tones can pretty much wear any color. You lucky ducks!
Choosing Jewelry Based on Your Eyes
They say the eyes are the windows to the soul, so it only makes sense that you’d want your jewelry to complement them. Below is a guide to help you choose the right jewelry based on your eye color.
- If you have blue eyes, try accessorizing with yellow gold jewelry and gemstones in warm tones such as red, orange, and yellow. These colors will make your blue eyes pop!
- If you have green eyes, try silver or platinum jewelry and gemstones in cool tones such as blue, green, and purple. These colors will help to accentuate the green in your eyes.
- If you have brown eyes, pretty much any color goes! Try different combinations and see what you like best.
Choosing Jewelry Based on a Theme
What is a theme? A theme is a specific style or looks that you’re going for. Maybe you want a nautical theme or a vintage theme. Or a simple, classic look. Whatever style, there’s jewelry to match.
- If you’re going for a nautical theme, try accessorizing with gold or silver anchor pendants, rope bracelets, and starfish earrings.
- For a vintage-inspired look, try antique-style lockets, cameos, and pearl jewelry.
- And for a classic look, stick to simple pieces in metals like gold, silver, and platinum. Diamond stud earrings are always a good choice!
Choosing Jewelry Based on Your Outfit
The easiest way to determine which jewelry color you should wear is to look at your outfit. Some classic combinations always look good together.
Blues: Try a light blue top with some denim jeans for a casual daytime look. Add in some silver jewelry to complete the ensemble. For a night out on the town, go for a dark blue dress and accessorize with gold jewelry.
Reds: A red dress is always a showstopper. To avoid looking too overdone, pair it with some understated jewelry. Silver or diamond stud earrings and a bracelet would be the perfect finishing touches.
Greens: Green is a great color for both daytime and evening looks. For a daytime look, try a green dress with some gold jewelry. For an evening look, go for a dark green dress and accessorize with silver or platinum jewelry.
Purples: A purple dress is perfect for an elegant evening look. Accessorize with gold or silver jewelry and some sparkling gemstones.
Pinks: A pink dress is perfect for a girly daytime look. Accessorize with gold or silver jewelry and add in some delicate details like bows or flowers.
Metallics: Metallics are always in style. To avoid looking like you’re going to a costume party, pair your metallic dress with some understated jewelry. Silver or diamond stud earrings and a bracelet would be the perfect finishing touches.
Now that you know how to choose the right jewelry for your outfit, it’s time to go shopping! Check out our collection of jewelry for some great ideas.
Get A Luxury Piece to Mix and Match!
When it comes to wearing color in fine jewelry, there are no hard and fast rules. You can mix different colors together or wear them separately, depending on what looks best with your outfit and skin tone.
If you’re an enjoyer of the finer things in life, you know the importance of making a statement with your luxury purchases. Whether you’re looking to buy a gift for a special occasion or want to add some new pieces to your own collection, TrueFacet has the perfect piece for you.